Monday, March 17, 2014

Rave: The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa

Excuse me if this review sounds like it is coming from an obnoxious fan girl, but The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa, has completely restored my faith and renewed my interest in the overplayed vampire genre that previously bored me to tears.

To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness…

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for… again.

Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.  @Goodreads
I stumbled upon this series on accident; I requested The Forever Song, on Netgalley, without realizing that it was part of a series, Blood of Eden.  Once I realized and read the reviews on Goodreads for this series, I decided I had to read it.  I immediately purchased The Immortal Rules and have since purchased the second novel as well, so... well played, Netgalley and Harlequin Teen.

This book was released in 2011, and is therefore considered old news to most avid YA dystopian fans.  I don't have much to say about it that hasn't already been said.  This post is to drive awareness to this series -- it's really good.  If you haven't heard of it, this is what you need to know:

Dystopian.  Vampires that are monsters, not beautiful, sparkling beings.  Zombies (called rabids).  Strong female lead.  Great writing.  Excellent world-building, and viable explanations on as to how the world ended.  Fast-paced.  Masterfully detailed.  And as far as I'm concerned, insanely underrated.  I had never heard of this series until a few days ago!

There are some religious undertones throughout, but they did not offend my heathen sensibilities.

I'd actually give this novel 4.5 stars, but since I was lazy and didn't make half graphics, I'll round up.
The novel is amazing, and has many strong points, but the main character's love interest is not one of them.  Boring!  Hopefully that improves!

4 comments:

  1. I've been dying to read this book! I think i'm just going to have to break down and buy it! Though, seriously, how did you just hear about them?

    -Emilee @ Fantastical Paper Realm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably heard vampire and YA and just ignored it, honestly. I was just so done with vampires.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. This is definitely one of the best YA vampire series out there! I do like how she makes the vampires scary ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read the rest of the series yet? I'd love to hear your thoughts!! I enjoyed the series as a whole but felt like the third book was a letdown.

    --Jessica @ For the Love of YA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it so much! Your comment guarantees a return visit from me to your blog -- I love connecting with new book lovers!