Monday, March 10, 2014

Review: Deep End of the Sea by Heather Lyons

Run, do not walk, to the nearest bookstore/library/website/however you get your books and check out this new novel from Heather Lyons, The Deep End of the Sea, especially if you are a fantasy/mythology fan.


What if all the legends you’ve learned were wrong?

Brutally attacked by one god and unfairly cursed by another she faithfully served, Medusa has spent the last two thousand years living out her punishment on an enchanted isle in the Aegean Sea. A far cry from the monster legends depict, she’s spent her time educating herself, gardening, and desperately trying to frighten away adventure seekers who occasionally end up, much to her dismay, as statues when they manage to catch her off guard. As time marches on without her, Medusa wishes for nothing more than to be given a second chance at a life stolen away at far too young an age.

But then comes a day when Hermes, one of the few friends she still has and the only deity she trusts, petitions the rest of the gods and goddesses to reverse the curse. Thus begins a journey toward healing and redemption, of reclaiming a life after tragedy, and of just how powerful friendship and love can be—because sometimes, you have to sink in the deep end of the sea before you can rise back up again.                                       @Goodreads
I am a monster.  The worst kind of monster.  The kind that people have told stories about for thousands of years.  The kind that daredevils like poor Walt seek out, even though many believe I’m not more than a myth. 
I am the Gorgon Medusa.  And my eyes can turn anything living to stone.
 Thus begins the Deep End of the Sea, a modern-day re-telling of the infamous Medusa legend.  Medusa is, of course, the main character, and the love interest is none other than the god, Hermes.  Is your mythology a bit rusty?  Irrelevant; you’ll remember as you go along, unless you’re some kind of savage.  LOL – point is, there’s no need to be intimidated going in if you’re not a huge mythology buff.

I was highly interested in Greek/Roman mythology in middle and high school, but I am old as shit now. I am the very definition of rusty on the topic.  Also, I’ve never read a mythology book like this, and I really wasn’t sure how much I’d like it.  I am on young adult fantasy kick as of very recently (I’m seriously like Bambi on ice about it), so I figured, “Why not?”

I loved it.

I really, really loved it.

I mention that this is a modern day re-telling, because it is set in the here and now, in 2014.  There is technology (tablets, cell phones, et cetera).  There is also a great story – mythology isn’t still being studied because it sucks, after all – an epic story, in fact.  There is a romance so tender, so believable, it very nearly has the reader falling in love.  And the beau is a god, literally.  A caring, funny, sexy, gorgeous god.

Love makes every misery, every struggle, every moment of life worth it. 

Medusa is a heroine that I can actually say I liked, which is rare for me. A monster for the last two thousand years, the better portion of this book is her coming-of-age story – living life with her curse removed at long last.    She is strong, yet cautious, smart, yet unsure of herself.

I run.  I kick.  I punch.  I listen.  I write.  I give.  I live.  Stars above, I live.

The other characters (mostly other gods and goddesses of Greek mythology) are amazing – all of them, even the villains.  The writing is great – easy to read, and it flows wonderfully.  I devoured this novel, and I’m hungry for more.


I'm glad I took the gamble on this one after not reading much about it.  Plus, it's only $3.99 (Kindle format) @Amazon.com.

Published February 5, 2014

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it so much! Your comment guarantees a return visit from me to your blog -- I love connecting with new book lovers!